Everyone needs a good sugar cookie recipe, and this one is my favourite. It's easy to work with and holds its shape wonderfully in the oven (so you can cut out any kind of crazy cookies you want to), but you don't have to sacrifice taste to achieve that - it's still very flavourful and buttery.
How to decorate Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies are pretty tasty on their own, but they look so darn cute with some royal icing piped on! You can use this royal icing to do whatever design or colour you feel like. I chose these pink and white hearts as we're coming up to Valentines Day. I piped my icing but you can dip the cookies in it or even spread them on with a knife - whatever sounds like the most fun to you!
Easy Sugar Cookies
This sugar cookie has it all, it's buttery and delicious, but also holds it's shape well and has a gorgeous 'snap'
For the Cookies
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
For the Royal Icing
- 3 Egg Whites
- 3 cups Icing Sugar
- 2 drops Food colouring (optional)
Make the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add the flour and mix until it comes together into a dough. If it doesn't come together, add a splash of milk or water
- Knead the dough just until it is smooth and then roll out to about 5mm thick, cut into any shape you like and transfer to baking sheett
- Bake for 12-15 minute, or just until the edges are about to turn golden brown
Make the Royal Icing
- Beat together egg whites and icing sugar until combined
- To test if the icing is the right consistency, lift a spoonful of icing out and drizzle it back into the bowl, it should sit on the surface for about 15 seconds before completely disappearing back into itself. If it takes longer, add a splash of water and mix again, if it goes too quickly, add a spoonful of icing sugar and mix again. Repeat until the desired consistency is reached. (This only really matters if you intend to pipe your icing onto your cookies)
Tried this recipe?Show us! @bonni_bakery
Leave a Reply